Sunday, May 08, 2005

A Great Mom

Today is mother's day and I must say that I would not trade the mom I have for anyone else in the world. If there ever was a saint, she is one. Growing up, mom was as loving and caring as anyone I had ever met, yet she was firm in discipline, setting boundaries regarding the way I should act and the way I shoud speak. She was sure to see that I grew up loving Jesus, praying for me daily -truly a prayer warrior. She still is, and without her prayers I would surely have bounced from ditch to ditch on the bumpy road of life. She kept me going as a kid and continues to keep me going as an adult. But it's the behind the scenes things about my mom that most people are unaware of. her notes to the sick, to those in need, her telephone calls, her reading to hospital patients when they might be in a coma, and of course, her prayers. My brothers and I are blessed to have the mom we have, and now, my boys are blessed to have a mom (my wife) who loves and prays for them the same way my mom did for me. Coincidence? I think not! God led me to a woman just like my mom. How great is that?
Some of you know my mom. I'm right aren't I. What about your mom? Any words to share?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sort of like the Nat'l Day of Prayer. If you honor your Mother only 1 day a year, well, I'm afraid you don't understand the word "honor". You can't spend time with a parent once they've passed away, so, give of your time now to show and express your love and gratitude for them. Understandably, not everyone is blessed with a "saintly" mother like Rick Just, but, there is one thing that all mothers do share. They are MOTHERS. They gave us LIFE. Thank them over and over again.

Anonymous said...

In the case of your mother and just meeting her for a few times, none of what you said is surprising. I think as mothers we make concious decisions of what kind of mothers we want to be. Some decide to break cycles, some work to improve what they felt was left out of their own childhood, and others hope it's never too late for a change. And as we all know that through prayer and the love of Christ we can all improve and change (I think thats why, when grandchildren come along, we wonder who these people are, because they weren't the same as when we were growing up,as Cosby has said they are old people trying to get into Heaven).

Anonymous said...

Not everyone gets blessed with positive mothers in their lives, but if they are as blessed as I was, they will still have great female influences who helped nurture and guide a young person while growing up. I look upon these women in various stages of my life as surrogate mothers of sorts, and I can't help but look back and think, who made sure these individuals were there when I needed them the most?
I did make a concious decision to not be like my mother, in every aspect of my life. We did not get to choose our parents, they were chosen for us, by GOD, and so I find comfort in that, knowing this was the way my childhood was to turn out. HE knew that I would be a strong individual, and that I would have lots of love and support around me.

Anonymous said...

Being a mother is the greatest reward in my life. I know when I was growing up my mother didn't take good care of us. So we had another set of parents that took care of us. I know that god is always taking care of us during difficult times. We try to teach our children that God is everywhere and watching at all times druing the bad and the good.
I know that I thank God for putting my parents in our lives.

Thank you Rev. Just for putting your church and god back in our lives.

T. J. said...

No doubt gma J and Mom ML are the greatest moms around. Couldn't have asked for anything more. Although sometimes I must say I wish I wouldn't have inherited the so sensitive gene from each one. It's great for women, but makes a male "soft" - not that that's a bad thing. Right?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I will have to say that my mom means the world to me. She and I are all most like sisters. I love you mom!