Friday, May 13, 2005

Funerals and memorial services

I just got back to church this afternoon after officiating at Ron Moyer's memorial service and I am emotionally spent. I'd rather bale hay all day long. There is something about spending time with a person and with their family, experiencing the ups and downs, seeing the laughter as well as the tears that takes it out of a person. Those of you who were at the service know how difficult it became for me, but how do you not become emotionally involved with people you care about? How do you not shed a tear or crack a voice after sharing in some of the most intimate times with a family? As a pastor I have been told that you have to remove yourself from the emotion. I understand that to a point, but if that is truly the case, I guess I fail in that department. The joy is knowing that death does not have the final word. As the apostle Paul says, "where, O death is your victory? Where, o death is your sting But thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." Can I get an Amen!?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was sadden to hear about Ron Moyer's death.
When I saw him in Hays, he was ready to learn new thing about his new leg. He so wanted to ride bike, walk and beable to drive a car.
Ron was a very neat man.
Death is hard for everyone and it ok to be emotional about that ones that feel dear to your heart.