Saturday, August 04, 2012

IRONING OUT THE IRONY!


I write this blog based upon that which I've seen and experienced the past 20 years or so as a pastor.  Maybe some of you clergy types can relate.  Or maybe it's JUST me.


One thing about my vocation, I did not choose it.  My wife and I were happily married, living in rural Kansas, active in our church, had great jobs, and lived close to wonderful family and friends.  Then God pulls a "Go to a land that I will show you" kind of thing.  So after leaving the previously mentioned behind, to Chicagoland we did go.  Bottom line?  Called into ordained ministry.  And that's where we find ourselves today.  Serving as the pastoral husband and wife in a local church.  Did we choose this? No!  Did God call us into the ministry?  Yes!  Without a doubt.

Now, to borrow a phrase of a pastor friend, ministry is "brutiful" - both beautiful and brutal.  Just like any other vocation, there are the good times and the "not-so-good".  But it is the irony that is found in the "not-so-good" that baffles me from time to time.

I have a deep desire for people to experience God's love, his forgiveness, his grace and mercy by virtue of placing faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.  That drives me.  That is my passion, especially seeing lives transformed because of Jesus.  And I acknowledge that my passion can come across as "direct" or "pushy" or even "in your face" at times.  I own that.  Guilty as charged.  But here's where the iron comes into play.

Why is it okay for a CEO to hold accountable those whom he/she oversees?  Why is it it okay for a medical director to call into account those who administer health care to those in need?  Why is it okay for a teacher to give direction and provide discipline to his/her students in the classroom?  Why is it okay for a coach to expect his/her athletes to be responsible to train correctly and be at all practices?  Yet, why is it not okay for a pastor to hold accountable his/her parishioners to the vows they have exchanged with God and the church?

Quit "judging" me, "you're meddling", it's  "none of your business".  I've experienced this for years but let me tell you, I am so glad that a certain pastor "meddled", got in "my business", held me accountable to who I proclaimed to be.  If not, who knows what ditch I'd be in today.  Just as a coach would do, just as a CEO would do, just as a teacher would do, that pastor did, and I am grateful.

As I mentioned, my passion can get in the way of my tact.  I get that and apologize if any of you who are reading this have experienced that.  However, know this, when I stand before God on judgment day, I do not want to be accused of running way from my responsibility to those who have made vows to God and his church by upholding the church by their prayers, presence, gifts, and service.  Should I not do so would be more than irony, it would be a tragedy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your passion and that awesome "in your face" approach is who you are and it is much appreciated!!! My boys and I were talking about your preaching last week, and we all agreed it is definitely passionate, and it is what keeps us coming back for more. Keep up the great work!! You and your "style" of preaching keeps us longing for more!! Thank you for all that you do!!!

Mama Cake said...

I remember hearing a sermon like this about 5 years ago ;) I expect a person in your position to hold their persons accountable and I respect you for taking on that huge role. Thanks PR!
Gina

Anonymous said...

I feel like both you and Mary Lou may need a little encouragement. I promise that I will lift both of you up daily in my prayers and I promise to allow you to be my spiritual "coach." I know that you and Mary Lou are coming from a place of genuine Christian love. Thanks for everything you do - Jenna Malanchuk

Anonymous said...

It is my thought that perhaps some of those who suggest you might like to get out of their faces are those who are probably talking the talk but perhaps not walking the walk. I've always thought that you were one who definitely epitomized the way a shepherd should lead his flock...and that's not an easy thing to do sometimes-in fact, it can be much like herding cats!

JJ Fullerton said...

Let me guess...you have been reading 1 & 2 Corinthians too! Paul is holding his flocks accountable to their declarations of faith and proclamations of what they said they would do. Driven by the Spirit, Paul pushed the Gentile Christians (that's us!) to live their daily lives in every way keeping to their new religious faith. Living one’s faith was evidently a new way of life for the Greek believers, so they had some difficulties adjusting. They would need a strong and deeply rooted faith and a very strong community family of God to survive the persecutions that were about to be unleashed.


Today, I am convinced you are correct in saying too many are "check off the box" Christians who attend worship most Sundays but that is about all. Jesus made some strong demands of those who were "check off the box of not breaking the Law" Jews. We do not know the end of their stories, but initially we know they either "went away sorrowful" that they could not buy their way into Heaven or were determined to "get" Jesus because they did not want to hear the message pointed at them. (Jesus has it all recorded. Stay tuned for the public readings of the “police reports” after the rapture. Do angels get writer’s cramp?)


KEEP ON "meddling"! I sense spiritual movement. We really need to be a single "family" where everyone has everyone else's back, to use the vernacular of the common folk. If we do not achieve that, we can be more easily struck by “snake bite” and lose our rewards. I like a little frosting on my cake.