Thursday, June 02, 2011

HORSING AROUND!


This past weekend I went to my brother's house for a little country "get-a-way" time. I left Sunday afternoon (after a short nap) and got to Rod's house around 4:00. We lazied around for a little while and then decided it was time to make something to eat. We were the only ones around because the rest of his family was out and about doing other things. So, we fired up the grill, grabbed a couple steaks, a little deer burger, and found some fish and taters. You know, a good red-neck meal of meat and potatos. And yes, it was great.

We then decided to saddle up the horses and go for a ride down by the creek and surrounding area. His dog (which is as fat as a whale) decided to go along. We rode through a brome field and scared up a couple of does (female deer for you city folks). They are beautiful animals and are so graceful in their movement. We galloped the horses back across the field and turned back toward the creek. Of course the dog had to stop for a swim - crazy thing. We were walking along and I turned to Rod, "look over there in the grass". Lying there with his head turned the other way was a nice whitetail buck, its antlers still in the velvet. We slowly walked the horses closer to it until it could take it no longer and it bolted out of sight. I took a picture with my phone but it was too blurry. In the fall that buck may end up in my brother's freezer, we'll see.

We rode the horses a little farther into the trees only to scare up a big ole badger. He scurried off. Good thing the dog didn't see him. The badger would have won that battle. You don't want to make a badger mad.

We rode through the trees and along the ponds, up and down the hills enjoying the ride and the scenery. Other than a few mosquitos, it couldn't have been a better evening. Nothing like riding horses to leave some of the stuff of life behind, if only for a little while.

I don't know about you but life goes by too quickly. Here today, gone tomorrow. If you're not careful the moments to ride a horse, stop and look at deer, go down to the creek, or even grill a steak are gone. Personally I don't want to miss those moments when God meets me in the middle of His creation. For me, those moments are sacramental, meaning God's grace is present. And even though it was only for a few hours in the evening, it was a time for God to renew me and and refresh me. And for that I am grateful - even if it meant a little horsing around.

4 comments:

Steve Rankin said...

AMEN!

JJ Fullerton said...

Wonderful! I'm glad you got away from the routine for a few hours. God's creation is still wonderful, even in a tarnished state.

Anonymous said...

This makes me smile :)
-Gina

Anonymous said...

"God meets me in the middle of his creation," I like that quote. It's a perfect sentiment for that quite peace that meets you when your outside enjoying nature. Thanks for the post. Jenna Malanchuk