Monday, January 17, 2011

"BRUTIFUL"


I was talking with a pastor friend the other day who was going through some struggles and he used the term"brutiful" to describe what he was going through - "Ministry is brutiful. It is brutal and beautiful at the same time". Boy is he right. And yet, why should that be such a surprise? Take note of what Jesus has to say to those who choose to follow Him:
  • If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it." (Mark 8:34-35)

  • "....they will lay hands on you and persecute you. They will deliver you to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all on account of my name. This will result in your being witnesses to them." (Luke 21:12-13)

  • "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." (Mt. 5:11-12)

  • "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart, I have overcome the world." (Jn. 16:33)

  • Yep, it's not an easy road we are traveling to heaven, for many are the thorns on the way. However, in the midst of some of the thorns, the potholes, the obstacles, the stumbling blocks, the frustrations and struggles that we all face, we are promised that we are not alone. "I will never leave you nor forsake you" Jesus reminds us. "I will carry you, I will comfort you, I will exchange your weakness for my strength, I will give you grace that will be sufficient for you to carry on."

  • The promises of God are trustworthy and true. What a blessing! God is "faithful" as the great hymn reminds us. What a joy to know that we have the blessed assurance that Jesus is with us through the thick and the thin, through the victories and the struggles.

  • Being a follower of Jesus has never been promised to be without its difficulties. Yes, it can be brutal at times (something to do with picking up the cross). But at the same time it is beautiful because there is victory in Jesus - there is forgiveness of sin, there is restoration of relationship, there is grace that is sufficient, there is the promise of never being alone, and there is love that is everlasting.

Keep the faith friends!

No comments: