Monday, February 15, 2010

GOING FOR THE GOLD!

Well, here we go again. Another Winter Olympic games is upon us. Personally, I love the winter games much more than those in the summer. The downhill skiing, the giant slalom, the ski jumps, the speed skating, the bobsledding, the luge, and yes, even a little figure skating does the soul good. These events, as well as the others I failed to mention, are incredible to watch. I can't imagine what it would be like to actually be one of the athletes. What a rush!
It is amazing to me that these athletes spend thousands upon thousand of hours preparing for a few minutes of competetion with the hope of taking home the gold medal. And with the Olympics occurring only once every four years, one slip, one false move, one fall can mean the difference between the possibility of bringing home a medal or just chalking it up to "the experience". And yet, the reality is that only a few ever get the chance to stand on the podium. So what's the deal? Why bust it when the odds are so slim to medal? And why jump right back into training when it will be 4 years before the next winter games?
It has to do with passion - the passion to win within their respective sport. The passion to prioritize life to do whatever it takes to be in shape. The passion to grunt and groan, to push the limit, to train day in and day out. The passion to do the best and be the best. The passion to keep on keeping on even in the midst of danger (so unfortunate for the luge athlete from Georgia).
Could you imagine the impact the church would have on communities and the world if we had the same kind of passion for the gospel and for others to know and experience Christ as athletes do for the Olympics? Maybe it's time we follow the example of our athletic friends, discern and develop our passion, and not only do whatever it takes to get in shape, but stay in shape. The prize awaits!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have passion, but training every single day!?! It has to be really hard work! I'm not sure I'm up to it. I'll have to really pray about that one. In addition, I'll need daily blogs from you to keep it going! Nice to see you writing again. CK

Brecken said...

This is VERY well written!
The other day, I was remembering how Mrs. Gerstberger used to tell the preschoolers not to waste their minutes. For some reason, this has remained in my mind for the many years since I first heard her say it. In the past, I often found myself wondering if God was pleased with how I was spending my minutes (time), and if my passions were in agreement with what He desired for me to accomplish while I was here on earth.
Today, I have learned, He is often the one who gives us the passion to begin with, and if we are willing to allow Him to use that passion to bring glory to himself; it pleases him to bless us with the passion. We just need to be aware that our passion for Him always need to remain our number one passion!!In addition, when we are passionate about accomplishing a goal, we often come to the realization that we cannot reach our desired accomplishment without His grace to provide the strength and disciplin needed to reach it. Therefor, he also uses our passions to draw us into a closer and more dependant relationship with Him. He is quite an amazing God!!!

Brecken said...

P.S....
By saying "this is very well written!" I was refering to your blog. It touched my heart and has been in my thoughts since Monday, when I first read it.
JUST though I better make that clear, because mine is NOT very well written!!! LOL
God bless, and you do a great job of keeping us thinking and on our toes....I think that JUST may be your passion!!!

Inay said...

I love watching sports. And you could feel the tension in the arena. The energy and the power that envelopes yours is so striking and intense.
Everyone is really wishing for that gold...the feeling of...you might never know...
God bless