Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I smell Turkey (not the country)

Ok, ok I'm jotting down some thoughts. Are you happy? I was just taking a break, okay? As I type away I smell turkeys baking in the oven in preparation for the God Squad meal this evening. My stomach is growling all over the place.
Now more than likely I won't blog again (sounds terrible doesn't it) until after Thanksgiving so I thought it would be good to remind you (and myself) of all the things we have to be thankful for. Think about it. Most of us have a house to live in, clothes to wear, food to eat, jobs to work at, schools to attend, and on and on. We in America make more money than most of the world can only dream about. And we have freedoms most cannot fathom. We are indeed a blessed people.
Have you ever wondered why you were born in America, why you aren't fighting just to scrounge up enough food for the day, why you don't have to worry if someone will shoot you for your faith? Purely grace folks. Purely grace. We don't don't deserve what we have. It is not owed to us as if God is obligated to us for anything. Like the song says, "God shed His grace on thee".
I am so thankful for God's blessings, especially for my family and the fact that I was raised in a Christian home. I'm grateful that I was taught about Jesus and His great love for me. And it is my prayer that I've passed that teaching on to my kids, that they would accept that love and grace for themselves (which they have) and then pass it on to their kids. I pray a prayer of thanksgiving each day for what God has given me and each day for the family he's entrusted me with. Another song says to "count your many blessings, name them one by one." If I were to do so, I'd still be counting. How about you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's about time!
Yes, we have so many things to be thankful for, and as you said, if we were to sit down and name them all there would be no end. I have oftened wondered, why me? Why did God choose for me to be in the Christian home, the USA, how did he choose to put the less fortunate where he put them? But I thank him every day for that! No matter what comes my way, (especially on a day you pray for me!) I know it can always be worse! Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

T. J. said...

Lots to be thankful for and yet we always want more. Like we really deserve any more. However, I do think that I deserve pecan pie at gma's house on thanksgiving. MMMMMM

Anonymous said...

Well.... it's about time, I agree and it's worth the wait....every word. Are you preaching or meddling?? Because you sure hit me where I needed to be hit. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.