Saturday, June 21, 2014

ON THE ROAD AGAIN!!

roadtrip

Well, once again ML and I find ourselves moving on down the line, "moving" being the key word here. If you would have asked us a year ago that we would find ourselves in this position, we would have never believed it.  But here we are, one day away from saying goodbye to so many good folks that we have had the privilege of ministering to over the past 5 years.  And even though it is not really "goodbye" but more like "see ya later", it does not negate the feelings and emotions that we are experiencing as a result of us moving into another role in ministry.

We have been blessed to serve the church in Mulvane.  Has the road always been a smooth one?  No.  What road is?  Has the road included a few bumps, potholes, and obstacles?  Of course.  I've never gone on a trip where I've not experienced at least one, if not all, of these.  But did I turn around and go home?  Of course not.  A destination lie before me.  The same can be said for ministry.  The devil would love for us to throw up our hands and turn the spiritual vehicle around.  But God has called us to reach a destination, and as my buddy Rob Schmutz would say, "we must keep keepin' on in Jesus!"

I'm so blessed and grateful to you at MUMC for allowing me to lead you on this journey down the road to Christian growth. What a joy to be a part of the visioning process and to see how God has guided us as we've sought to live out the vision.  What a privilege to lead Bible studies, teach Sunday school classes, teach confirmation, officiate at weddings, baptisms, and yes, even funerals.  Those are holy moments.  What a privilege to be able to pray with you in my office, in the sanctuary, over the phone, in the hallway, wherever it was needed.  What an honor to represent you as your local pastor as well as my involvement on the conference level.  I've truly enjoyed being able to sing and play my guitar and refer to all sorts of songs in my sermons or studies.  (There's always a song that ties into anything we do isn't there?) And how wonderful it has been to see people give their lives to Christ.  Awesome! And thank you for allowing me to be involved in other ministries such as The Walk to Emmaus, leading workshops, preaching revivals, etc.  That is my heart and you blessed me by supporting me in reaching out to others with the love of Jesus.

I never have been fond of the "last" Sunday because it always implies moving on.  Tomorrow is no exception.  I remember being called into ministry  (blame Steve Rankin if you'd like).  There was that "last' Sunday at Aulne before we moved to Chicago.  I remember the "last" Sunday in Chicago (red slippers and all).  I remember the "last" Sunday in Salina.  I remember the "last" Sunday in Leoti.  And now, tomorrow is the "last" Sunday in Mulvane.  But you know what?  The road we have traveled through all of these locations has been one of the greatest experiences ever.

 God used us in all those places.  We made friendships that have lasted to this day.  Both ML and I grew in our faith in each location.  Blessed beyond blessing!  Yes, we hit some roadblocks along the way.  We fell into a few potholes.  We even had a flat from time to time.  But the journey has been worth it.  And that's the joy of the journey

So, it is a bittersweet moment for me as I ponder what I will say tomorrow morning.  Will there be some emotion?  Seriously?  You know me don't you?  Will there be some laughter?  Seriously?  Of course.  Will the Word be preached?  Again, seriously?  You know that will be the case - absolutely!!

The bottom line is that we all are on the road.  We've talked about that many times.  My road happens to be taking me to another adventure in ministry as District Superintendent.  And yes, I'm sure a few bumps lie ahead of me.  But Jesus has already gone ahead of me so I'm good to go.  And Jesus has gone ahead of you as well.  You at MUMC are also on the road.  I encourage you from the bottom of my heart to keep on keepin' on in Jesus.  Set your face to following Jesus.  Don't take your eyes off lest you find yourself in the ditch, or even worse, turning back.  The road of ministry is too exciting to turn back.

All this being said, I thank you so much for allowing Mary Lou and I to be a part of your journey.  In some small way I pray we have helped provide some direction for the road upon which you are traveling.  We are ever so grateful and are excited to see how you will continue to be the church who remains true to the vision of "Inviting ALL to experience the life-transforming love of Jesus Christ!"

Bless you all!!  PR

No comments: