Monday, December 06, 2010

SUCCESS!!


I mentioned in the last blog that I was going hunting and as you can see, it was a good day. An 11 point whitetail less than a half-mile from the house where my wife and I first lived over 33 years ago. My son was about 10 yards from me videoing the whole thing ( I didn't know it at the time). My reaction after the shot was pretty funny. My nephew was about 1/8 of a mile to the west. It was great to be with those guys and they were very helpful with regards to processing the meat which happens to be in my freezer. ML is not too sure about the meat. Stay tuned.
It was good to get away for the day - beautiful weather, great comraderie, and success. Yep, a good day. I've told people that even if I would not have brought home a deer, just being out in God's creation is worth it. There's something about getting out in the cold brisk air, walking through the woods and the pastures, setting back against the trees, seeing deer, coyotes, birds, etc. - ah yes, refreshing!
And now, of course, it's all about the story. It gets better every time I tell it. And believe me, I told it a few times. I really wanted to put the picture up on the big screen at church but it didn't quite fit into the Advent theme. But it was considered a "joy" during our prayer time when we lifted up joys and concerns. The most fun came on Sunday evening when we had an early Christmas gathering with a bunch of the uncles, aunts, and cousins on my mom's side of the family. I just happened to have pictures. And stories. And then my 16 year old niece joined in by telling me to go look in her car. Yep, the antlers of a 9 pointer. Another good story. And then my cousin and uncle came late. Why?? Because they'd been deer hunting.
Lots and lots of stories. Lots and lots of fun. And as I mentioned to a few folks earlier, much jocularity. It was a great weekend, rather deer to my heart. Get it?
Have a wonderful week. God is good!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Rick. Hubby was quite impressed with an 11-point white tail! I'm glad you got the chance to enjoy a hunting trip!!