Monday, October 18, 2010

"....AND THEY RECOGNIZED HIM!"





A milestone was reached this past weekend as 41 women completed the 100th "walk" of the Bread of Life Community Walk to Emmaus in Wichita. What an incredible story to think that over 3,000 men and women have taken part in the 72 hour spiritual journey with Christ from all over the state of Kansas (and other states as well). For those of you who are unaware of the Walk to Emmaus, (in a nutshell) it is a Thursday evening to Sunday afternoon gathering of men (one weekend) and women (the next weekend) who come together to be challenged, restored, renewed, and encouraged in their faith in Jesus Christ with the intention of not only strengthening individuals, but strengthening the local church.


As one who has been involved in countless walks and am now the community spiritual director, I have seen lives and churches transformed as a result of what God has done through the Walk to Emmaus. And as is always the case, this happened again these past 2 weekends. Men and women experienced God's grace in ways never before experienced. They experienced God's love through times of fellowship, times around the table, various talks given by both laity and clergy, times of worship, and times of invitation to the Lord's table. And to hear the testimonies of those who participated - well, once again God did His thing. What a blessing!



I am so thankful for those who were sensitive to the Holy Spirit back in 1987 to charter the wallk in the Wichita area. I am grateful for their persistence, their energy, their patience, their endurance, and their love for the Lord to see that this movement would carry through and carry on. And yes, here we are - 100 walks later. Incredible!



As I mentioned last week, I am seeking to discern those areas that I need to set aside because of my busy schedule. And to be honest, I was considering stepping down from my role in Emmaus. But God affirmed to me through various circumstances and through the voices of many people this past weekend that I am to continue to lead the Bread of Life Community. I have experienced God's working in my life through Emmaus. I have seen lives - men and women - transformed because of Emmaus. I have seen and experienced what Emmaus can do to transform the life of the local church as well. So, with that being said, I commit myself to serving the Lord in this capacity until the Lord tells me differently.





To you who have gone through the walk - De Colores!! To you who will be participating on the future, let me know your desire and I'll be sure and get you a sponsor for the next walk or one down the road. The next walk? 2011 in Garden City, Kansas. Men's walk - March 3-6. Women's walk - March 10-13. Looking to experience God? Take a walk - a walk to Emmaus.

1 comment:

Kevin F. said...

Rick, your leadership, enthusiasm, your passion for God, and yes, even your humor are appreciated by the entire Emmaus Community. I am priviledged to be a part of this Community, and look forward to serving along side you as God continues to do amazing work in the lives of those pilgrims yet to come. De Colores!