Monday, August 16, 2010

A PREACHER'S PRAYER

Lord, on this day I am reminded that it is so easy to lose focus of what you really desire for me and for the church. The busyness of each day, the expectations of others, my own expectations. I find myself often asking, is this what you really want - to push paper around, to research and implement new programs, to be the designated referee, to merely put out the latest fire, to be so consumed by what our culture calls "church" that at the end of the day I ask "what just happened?" I know the answer but Lord, I find myself asking, 'Who is going to visit so and so in the hospital, who is going to lead this meeting or that meeting, what about that marriage falling apart, what about these kids who know very little if anything about Jesus, what about a realistic understanding of the church? Lord, the church is your idea and is your way to reach a lost and dying world with good news, with hope, with purpose, with joy, with life, life to the fullest. I think I get it, but I often feel trapped because of what we've made church become - a building on the corner where we gather with our friends and family to "go to" church. But Lord, is it something we "go to?" Isn't it something we are supposed to be - a body made up of men and women, boys and girls who claim Jesus as Lord and Savior and then are commissioned to invite others into that same relationship? Are we just getting in the way of that with all the stuff? Am I getting in the way with all the stuff? Lord, there are some great things that are happening, I don't deny that. But, I so much desire to experience YOU more and for others to do the same - to truly experience how your love can transform lives. Isn't that what it's all about? Last night I was reminded of the statement that says"Lord, break my heart with the things that break your heart." I don't want my heart to break over the things that don't matter. Make my heart break over the things that do. That's my prayer. Thankfully you can make sense of it, even if I can't.

PR

3 comments:

JoAnne said...

ok....seriously on an already emotional day, I am tearing. :'( This summer seems to have gotten the best of me, and I pray, that with school starting, I will renew EVERYTHING. It seems as if I've thrown my hands up on all of it. And that is not good!!!!
You are doing an awesome job, whether you think you are getting anything accomplished or not! (and I don't have to be there to know that!)
Here is to getting back on track and taking care of the things that matter...... :)

Ksannie said...

Wow - this one made me think - also brought to mind a great song by Phil Collins "Another Day in Paradise"
She calls out to the man on the street
"Sir, can you help me?
It's cold and I've nowhere to sleep,
Is there somewhere you can tell me?"

He walks on, doesn't look back
He pretends he can't hear her
Starts to whistle as he crosses the street
Seems embarrassed to be there

Oh think twice, it's another day for
You and me in paradise
Oh think twice, it's just another day for you,
You and me in paradise
We need to get on with the work God has in mind for us! You are sooooo right on! Thanks PR

Brecken said...

We need caring preachers because they really do make a difference!
In those little moments when you are tired or frustrated, just watch this clip and you will remember why you continue to do what you do.....it does make a difference....if people will allow it to!!!

http://www.sarahmarkley.com/2010/08/3531/

God bless and keep on keeping on!!!!