Wednesday, July 25, 2007

IDENTITY CRISIS!

I was speaking with someone this past week and somehow we got on the subject of how people define themselves. In the midst of the discussion we both agreed that almost everyone sees themselves as a success or a failure based upon what they do or the things they have as opposed to who they really are. But that is dangerous ground to tread upon if that is the case.

Does it mean that if you don't have a college degree or work in upper management you are a nobody? Does it mean that if you shop at Walmart instead of Dillards you have not yet arrived? Does it mean that one's self-worth is merely based upon what one has or does for a living?

What about those who work hard day in and day out, who are loyal to their employer, who arrive to work on time, who do what they say they'll do, who are honest? Is that person not a person of value? What about morals and ethics and character? Are these not better benchmarks when it comes to defining a person then what they own or what they do for a living? And haven't you seen those who seem to have very little with regards to money and material things more happy than those who seem to "have it all"?

As Christians, our identity is in Christ - who he is and what he has done through his life, death, and resurrection. It's not about status or how we compare to others. It's about what it means to follow Jesus Christ - to love God and to love others. When we deny ourselves (put Christ first) we find that we don't have to measure up to the standards the world throws at us. Ultimately, they are meaningless. It's about responding to Christ in faith and doing our best for him and being satisfied with knowing that we are children of the living God.

I'm so glad that God looks at our hearts instead of our resumes, accomplishments, or assets (or liabilities). For it is when we give our hearts to him that we attain fulfillment and meaning in our lives. That way, at the end of the day, no matter how good or bad the day was, we can say with certainty, "I am a child of God. I know who I am and whose I am."

I know one thing, that sure takes the pressure off of me. What about you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard "We will lose the battle if we gather the spoils of earthly treasures rather than seeking the treasures of heaven". The earthly treasure is just "stuff". I know my redeemer lives and I'm sure that will preach. Such a simple way in such a complex world. Keep up the great work and I'll keep praying for us all.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff RICK. I totally agree. Thank you for your service to our church and our community and mostly to our people. God Bless You. TC