Friday, September 02, 2005

Katrina response

Okay - we have a disaster of biblical proportions as a result of the wrath of hurricane Katrina which has wiped out New Orleans, much of Mississippi and Alabama. So now what? We have thousands and thousands who have nothing but the clothes on their back. Nowhere to go, nothing to eat, nothing to drink, missing friends and relatives, not to mention thugs and looters rampaging the city of New Orleans. Chaos and confusion seem to reign supreme with only a hint that some order is now being restored. The victims have used words like lost, scared, afraid, frustrated, mad, furious plus several I can't mention on this site. So now what?
Does living here in Leoti leave us with the response that there is nothing we can do? I mean really, what can we do? Oh, we can send money (and we'll do that). We can put together survival kits. And of coures, we can pray. But do you think that maybe, just maybe the Lord might be challenging us to step it up and send some folks down to the area of need? Jesus said in Matthew 25 to those who gathered before the throne of God, "Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, and I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me." Later Jesus said "Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me."
Surely the people affected by Katrina are the same as those mentioned by Jesus in Matthew 25. And surely we have a responsibility to do something, to put our faith into action. I'm not real sure what I'm asking in this blog, but I feel impressed to go and help. Not to just send a check, but to go and assist in feeding , clothing, caring for the needy as a result of this disaster.
Anybody out there thinking the same thing? Like I said, I don't know for sure where this will lead, but I believe God is wanting us to step it up. Are you with me? Give me your thoughts sooner than later.

5 comments:

T. J. said...

Nothing like getting a comment on a "help others" post that consists of marketing another web site. Anyways, I know right now they are saying not to attempt to go down and help, but it might be something to consider once they are ready for us. I've been kinda thinking about it myself. Does UMCOR have a way to get hooked up down there?

Anonymous said...

t.just just took the words right out of my mouth. You can be sure I didn't check out that web-site.

There are things we can be doing. Our little town meets Monday to make a plan to bring some here. Others from here have been in touch with a UMC in that area and will leaving tomorrow with the community bus to pick up a family or two. The flood buckets and health kits are just two of them.
It's time to lay the remote down, get off the couch and get to work.

Anonymous said...

What in the world is up with these jokers visiting you and Todd's blogs, advertising other websites!?! I'll help hold the fort down here while you and whoever else goes. I'll be on my knees for anyone who is willing to go!

Anonymous said...

The Red Cross is asking for volunteers, but they are asking people to stay away at this time but maybe later they will need help. This is not something that is going to be over in a day or two. When some of the first volunteers get wore down and burnt out they will still need help. I know you will consult the Lord and he will let you know when it is best for you to go help and mean while he will let you know what you can do. I can't believe someone is so inconsiderate of the many people that are suffering and have nothing to advertise their web site and not even mention what you were asking comments about.

Anonymous said...

Apparently no one thinks we can cook jambalaya and shrimp here! Kansas has worked overtime making room for them, and then they don't want to come. I understand not wanting to leave your roots though.
So, time for a new blog???????