Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Intercession

Romans 8:26 says, "We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express". That verse has taken on more meaning for me this past week in light of some situations and circumstances that face me and my family. I've always prided myself in being able to stay under control, of being consistant in my faith in spite of that which goes on around me. But in reality, that is a weakness because I can tend to rely too much upon my own strength (or lack of it) to think I am in control (when I'm not). This verse has been of great value to me because I think I know what to pray, yet I don't. I think I know how to pray, but I don't. I want to pray, yet at times I can't. Thankfully the Spirit is fully aware of what goes on in my life, in your life as well. And because of that He knows fully what to pray for, how to pray, how to intercede on my behalf with "groans that words cannopt express". That does not mean I am to give up praying or attempting to, nor does it exempt anyone from praying for me. But it does lessen the pressure to think that it is all up to me. Therefore, even when I struggle to pray, I am assured to know that the Holy Spirit is intereceding on my behalf, and on the behalf of others. I don't know about you, but I need that reassurance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen

T. J. said...

I learned at a seminar once to just pray, "Lord, how do you want me to pray?" This has helped tremendously as I struggle with what to pray as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad i'm not the only one that feels the same way you do and what is so funny if we would just let go and let god things would be for the best any way